Feb 14

Setting up a Roku 3 and a Logitech Harmony One remote

Category: geek out,popular

EDIT MAY 2015: Are you using the new software? Their new software, MyHarmony, available at https://setup.myharmony.com/ makes Roku Setup much easier. You don’t have to follow these steps if you update.

It isn’t as straightforward as one would like to set up a Roku 3 and a Logitech Harmony One remote. Some things that could be more obvious:

• Where is the Roku device on the “Devices” list?

It’s hidden under Devices -> DVD -> DVD -> Manufacturer: Roku -> Roku 3

FindDevice

It will come up as a DVD player, so you definitely want to rename the device by clicking “Settings” -> “Rename Device” and calling it a Roku3.

• Does the Harmony One have the right IR/RF control mechanisms to control a Roku?

Yes, it does. Mine is working perfectly after just configuring it with Logitech Harmony Remote Software. Logitech gives you some options to point the Roku remote at the backside of the Harmony remote, and pushing some Roku remote keys to learn. But the harmony, unsurprisingly, doesn’t learn when you fire things into its backside. You can skip that step.

• Why does the “Activity”->Watch Roku send commands to my TV instead of to the Roku?

Major annoying factor, but easy to fix. When I hit the “Activity” -> “Watch Roku” (I customized that name, it used to be “Watch DVD (2)”), all commands would be sent to the TV.

You can fix this by going to “Activities” -> “Watch Roku” -> “Customize Buttons”. Some buttons like Volume Control and Mute should go to your TV, but everything else can point to your Roku. See:

CustomizeButtons

You can even add some custom buttons to show on the home screen with the “Additional Buttons” tab:

AdditionalButtons

11 comments

11 Comments so far

1. BobNo Gravatar May 12th, 2014 1:23 am

Awesome guide, thanks for posting this. It made it really easy to get up and going.

2. PhilNo Gravatar September 9th, 2014 10:04 pm

I have the Harmony One and the Roku 3. My harmony remote software and firmware are updated to the latest versions. I do not have a Menu or return command in the drop down menu. I do have back and * that I might try instead.

3. rajatNo Gravatar September 10th, 2014 1:35 pm

Phil, that’s weird. I don’t know what could cause that. I used the Windows version to create these screenshots.

4. BenNo Gravatar November 30th, 2014 3:07 pm

This is an incredibly useful post. It is hard to believe that Logitech would have the process be so cryptic. There was no obvious way to figure all this out. The post was a lifesaver. Thanks!

5. rajatNo Gravatar December 2nd, 2014 2:45 pm

my pleasure! glad it helped.

6. macNo Gravatar December 25th, 2014 1:17 am

Awesome guide. I never would have figured this out on my own. Now everythign works exactly the way I hoped it would. Who would’ve guessed the Roku 3 was a DVD player??

Thanks again

7. ChuckNo Gravatar December 28th, 2014 7:57 pm

You are the man! Logitech’s software application is utterly user-hostile! Thanks for this!

8. rajatNo Gravatar January 2nd, 2015 5:11 pm

welcome! Looks like some people got new gadgets for Christmas :)

9. BrentNo Gravatar January 31st, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for the help. Crazy you would have to go to DVD settings to get this, never would have figured that out. New Roku 3 works perfect with my Harmony One now. Appreciate the effort and info!

10. MikeNo Gravatar June 30th, 2015 11:47 am

I’m attempting to customize the standard buttons on my Harmony One using the same version (7.7.0). For Menu, I specify Roku3 on the pull-down just as you did. However, there is no Menu on the Command pull-down. In fact there’s no Exit, Guide or Info either. The only commands on my pull-down are: Amazon, Back, Blockbuster, Crackle, DirectionDown/Left/Right/Up, FastForward, Home, InstantReplay, MGO, NetFlix, OK, Options*, Pandora, Pause, Play, Rewind.

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall, deleted the Roku device and recreated it from “DVD” with the same results. This makes no sense.

11. rajatNo Gravatar June 30th, 2015 12:38 pm

Mike, that’s frustrating. Did you try the new software “MyHarmony” that I linked at the top? It’s a bit better than the old crappy one.